Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Five Guys Surprise

Marilyn recently had her first taste of Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Yummm, greasy goodness! I've been trying to watch my diet, so I regretted eating it even while I was still in the act of eating it... yet I continued to eat it.

When one approaches the counter of a restaurant like Five Guys, she expects to be greeted with, "Hello, can I take your order?" Instead, I was hit with this: "Are you here to apply for a job?"

Excuse me?

Granted, I was bra-less, hungover and hadn't washed my hair in two days, but since when are you allowed to judge a book by its cover? I thought this was America.

I politely clarified that I had entered the premises as a paying customer and I proceeded to place my order. Eager to nip this case of mistaken identity in the bud, I took care to ensure my words were clear and eloquent to counteract the stale tequila breath coming from the same mouth.

I moved to the side to wait for my order and reached into my bag for my Blackberry. Nada! I had forgotten it at home. To my chagrin, I had to stand there with nothing buy my own thoughts for a solid 10 minutes. Torture! No texting, no web browsing, no Facebook stalking... how do people live like this?

I considered pulling out my book and knocking out a few pages, but I worried this might appear condescending. Is it appropriate to flaunt your literacy in a burger joint? I could already feel the cashier's glare... "We get it, Marilyn, you don't need a job here. I hope this burger makes you fat."

3 comments:

  1. Five Guys started in the DC area. Parents had five sons and told them they would either help them pay for college or help them start a business. They started Five Guys. Now I see them up and down the east coast! And yes, Marilyn, an occasional burger is okay and won't make you fat.
    Barbara
    PS And somebody tell me how to comment as someone other than "anonymous"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mo, The words of Bobby Burns come to mind : "Oh wad some power the gift he gie us, to see oursilves as ithers see us"! (or some approximation)
    Barb, after the comment box, there is a "Select profile" drop menu & name URL! Now this is crazy -- me telling you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon aka Father TwistmasJanuary 5, 2010 at 2:25 PM

    First Twistmas, now Five Guys. When will the holidays stop giving?
    Glad to have you back in the saddle.
    Blame it on Marylin.

    ReplyDelete