Monday, January 4, 2010

Hi, My Name Is...

In case you are not lucky enough to be one of my current 201 dear Facebook friends, let me introduce you to Marilyn by way of a few months of Facebook status posts. While we're on the subject, who actually has 201 "friends?" And who am I kidding to think that anyone beyond those 201 "friends" will care about this? But I'll humor myself...

Continuing confusion about my name has conditioned me to respond to any name that starts with M. I'm Pavlov's Marilyn and I'm often mistaken for an adolescent.
  • Just opened the door to someone who asked if my mom and dad were home. Unsure whether this offends or flatters me.
  • Saleslady: You must hear this a lot, but you have a face just like the girl from Family Ties. Me: Justine Bateman? Lady: No, that show with Kirk Cameron. Me: Tracy Gold? Lady: No, the little girl. Me: Oh. Chrissy... the 8-year-old.
  • Flying south for the winter! A TSA agent asked if I was ready to go back to college after visiting my parents for fall break. I wish.
  • Was just carded while attempting to buy wine STOPPERS. Sigh.
  • Is both amused/annoyed by 2 40-something orientation-mates who make continuous irrelevant references to their collective 3 ex-husbands, 5 children (ranging from 8mos to 28yrs), and 2 grandchildren (with 1 on the way). After 2 days, the new BFFs refer to each other as "babe" and plan to hit the bar tomorrow in celebration of "Working Women's Wednesday." I will now develop a Thelma & Louise-esque sitcom about 2 overworked and underpaid middle-aged nurses. They take care of patients at work and kids at home... something's gotta give! So on wed nights, they let loose with bud lite, line dancing, and start a crime spree in hopes of seducing police officers (bc I'm told nurses, of course, mostly marry cops).
  • Fielded the following pertinent questions at work this morning: How old are you? Do you have a husband? Do you have a church? And I'm the sucker who smiled and answered politely.
  • Today at work, I was informed that when someone looks into my office from a certain angle, they see only my hand. Due to my fair complexion, this apparently resembles a skeleton wax hand from a bowl of Halloween candy. WHO SAYS THAT?!
  • Someone shared that her husband is a materials engineer specializing in absorbency. He hold several patents for tampon "innards," some of which are framed in their guest bathroom.
  • A person I've worked with every day for the last month just greeted me with "Good morning, Marilyn!" I was angry for a half second until she followed it up with "you look cute today."
  • The lady at work referred to me as Marilyn again today... this time in a written email... even though she had to find my address by searching for my real name in the directory. This is starting to get awkward.
  • I overheard the work lady whisper, "What's the name?" Then she came to my office and said, "I am so sorry for calling you Marilyn in that email. I just got back from cruise to Guatemala, and well... you know how that goes." No, I do not.
  • While attempting to dress a 3-year-old, I accidentally put both legs in one pant leg. His response: "I'm a penguin. Waddle, waddle, waddle." He was really thinking: Get it together, Marilyn.
  • A would-be big sister engaged me in some "straight talk" due to our perceived similarities. Her: People think I'm ditzy, but I'm very smart. This isn't PC, but I'll be honest. You're going to be challenged because you're a woman and you're young. Me: I know. I'm surprised that people think it's ok to flat-out ask my age. Her: Yeah. Sooo...how old are you anyway?
  • A perfectly hot stranger stopped me in the hall to say he likes my glasses. Finally, some sense around here! I may never wear contacts again. Spexy!
  • Was disturbingly close to responding to questions for Marilyn at a meeting today... until I realized there was a real Marilyn in the room. That would've been tough to explain.
  • 8am banter from the woman who calls me Marilyn: "Girl, that's why I have a pistol in my nightstand and I'll blow up anyone who comes in my bedroom." I think I'll let her call me whatever she wants...
  • My Boss: Jane is going to the lunch on Mon. The Woman: Is Marilyn going? My Boss: Um, Jane is going. The Woman: But what about Marilyn? My Boss: Um, are we talking about Maureen?
  • My dept has taken to referring to any type of preliminary analysis as a "quick and dirty," so that people are always asking each other to "do a quick and dirty." I seem to be the only one who finds this inappropriately funny. My grounds for a lawsuit are growing, and I hope to retire by 30!
  • During a 1-hour meeting, there were no fewer than 4 references to attendance at church events this weekend. I thus limited the description of my weekend to "pretty good."
  • People discussing the "cold" SC weather (current temp: 45) referenced the "phenomenal insulation" of wolves that allows them to survive temps of 50 below. 1) I doubt this is true. 2) It is 100 degrees warmer than that! You need a cardigan, not a wolf coat.
  • Isn't it ironic that a woman named Marilyn is the one who realized everyone forgot to invite Maureen to the Christmas lunch?
  • It was worth coming to work today just to hear this exchange. Woman: "Let me tell you something about women to put in your 'future wife' file. Acrylic nails are too thick to work necklace clasps." Man: "Do you know what use that is to me? ZERO."
  • Back at work and opening mail addressed to a Maureen Coyle.
  • A lady just asked me, "Melissa, do you bake?"   
  • Someone just tried to tell me that balance is an oxymoron. Reply: "No it is not, my wise co-worker." 
  • Was asked to distribute a Crime Dog McGruff pamphlet about the rising rate of homicide in the workplace. Who could do that with a straight face?! The pamphlet also addresses human trafficking, which I didn't realize was such a problem in this town. Here I was thinking McGruff only dealt with lighthearted crimes like stolen lunch money.  
During my morning commute, I often sing a personalized version of the Cheers theme song: "Making your way in the world today take's everything you've got... sometimes you have to go where nobody knows your name..."


    No comments:

    Post a Comment