New England: Terrible.
Upstate New York: Excrutiating.
New Zealand: No central heat.
South Carolina: Ain't no thang.
No snow, no slush, no subzero temps, no whipping wind! I actively appreciate this Every. Single. Morning.
When I lived in Boston, I walked over a mile to and from work... every day... in the snow. I won't make the cliche claim that it was uphill both ways because that would detract from the stark reality of the situation. To prevent frostbite, I dressed to cover all areas of skin other than my eyelids. I'm talking about the type of cold that just plain hurts.
When I lived in Rochester, I had a car. No more walking. Sweet! Except that I once missed an entire morning of work because all 4 of my car doors were frozen shut. Ice cream.
Those childhood winters in Pennsylvania were no picnic either...
This photo shows a young Marilyn sledding through the streets of Ashland in 1983. Notice that she is being propped up in an empty case of MICHELOB BEER. Oooh, so that's where Marilyn gets it.
Fast forward to the winter of 1985. My little sister has been bundled into my hand-me-down snowsuit (right down to the light pink accessories), while I've upgraded to a sleek bright pink ensemble. My 3-year-old buddy put it best: "I am a penguin. Waddle, waddle, waddle."
You might be wondering about the hockey goalie gloves that enlarge my hands to the size of my thighs. These are my Freaky Freezies, beloved winter accessory of the 80s. The full design of the glove did not emerge until it was exposed to cold temperatures. Put these gloves on in the house and you see only the torso of a peacock. Borriingggg. Walk outside and the plumage explodes into color! Freezing feathers! If that doesn't freak your freak, I don't know what will! That girl is pretty wild now. That girl's a super-freak.
Early exposure to alcohol and freakiness... this explains a lot.
Thank you, family, for my my awesome new scanner! This Twistmas gift will entertain us all :)



i can't even begin to tell you how sick i am of the cold. a psychic said i will end up relocating down south. see ya soon!
ReplyDeleteLocal Greenville news today "Snow Likely In Mountains, Bitter Cold Continues" http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34688531
ReplyDeleteEmphasis on the "bitter" part... and of couse the insightful "Mountains Have Greater Chance Of Snow". ya think?! Only because it actually gets cold enough in the mountains to freeze rain to make snow. Not that I'm asking for it but my windsheild hasn't even had frost on it yet. That being said - and being from the south - this is as much winter as I want.
Yeah, it's cold. But, have to say how CUTE that pic of you, Meg and your Mom is. Aaawwww!
ReplyDeleteThis entry is classic blog-Mo & I love it -- looking forward & back. E, Z & I are home today in case this wintry threat hits the streets of Hotlanta (not)!
ReplyDeleteAhhh the beer box sled, what fond memories! Also, speaking of hand-me-downs I'm pretty sure I got those freaky freezie gloves a few years later. They were awesome.
ReplyDeleteYou posted no reference to the much loved moon boots. I have to agree this is cold and it snowed for about 5 minutes tonight.
ReplyDeleteI love the blog Maureen! The pictures take me back. The two cutest kids in Ashland!
ReplyDeletetwo cutest kids? ouch for michael!
ReplyDeleteThat's a sweet picture! All you Coyne youngsters were awfully cute.
ReplyDeleteI had those gloves too! In fact, I could have been your twin...just put everything in purple...I kind of think my gloves that change in winter were rainbow bright or some other cartoon character...I'll ask my sister and get beck to you.
ReplyDeleteLet me explain. Michael wasn't born yet when those pictures were taken. In 1990 Ashland had its 3rd cutest kid!
ReplyDelete