This photo is from my 8th grade graduation and my brother's kindergarten graduation. Michael looks cute as a freakin' button, and Marilyn looks mad as all get-out. Why so glum? Because those bastards at Immaculate Heart bestowed upon me the "Most Christian Spirit" award...in front of the whole class, parents, siblings, family friends.
Oh. No. You. Didn't!!!
I was nothing short of humiliated. I remember blinking back hot tears as I walked to the stage to collect the certificate. How dare they?!
Christian Spirit? Granted, I didn't tease or ridicule my classmates. However, that is more likely attributed to a paralyzing case of introversion than a kind heart.
Christian Spirit? What a terrible reputation with which to enter high school. Would I ever live this down? Why, oh why, could Sister Theis and company not see me for the true rebel I was?
Let me state my case. (I think the statute of limitations is up, but please Mom, stop reading now.) It's true what they say about Catholic schoolgirls. My friends and I would...
- Sneak out of the house and through the back alleys of Ashland to Uni-Mart to buy candy. It now fascinates me that the clerk wouldn't blink an eye at a bunch of 14-year-olds rolling into a convenience store at 1am. But candy sounds pretty innocent, huh? Nuh-uh! I recall a pixie-stix snorting incident at the little league filed.
- Dip into my dad's supply of fish oil supplements (a gateway drug if ever there was one) and see who could take the most without gagging.
- Cut wire hangers into strips, bend them into cute heart shapes, heat them on the stovetop and BRAND ourselves. I think this was a popular tattoo alternative in the mid 90s. Thankfully, the scars have faded.
- Maybe crack open a brew from my dad's beer-filled basement fridge. He didn't drink much, so the beer was really old. So old that the Yuengling containers were still shaped like soup cans. Hence, my long-standing affinity for Campbell's chicken noodle.
- Play hot potato with a water-filled condom someone got from her older, cooler sister who attended Woodstock '94. Disturbing? Yes. But, For the Love of Marilyn, thank goodness that's all we knew to do with a condom.
- Discuss make-out techniques ad nauseum and pray to someday have the opportunity to fine-tune these techniques on a real human boy. "Lord, please do not let his braces slice open my lip." (Hmm, does that type of prayer contribute towards "Most Christian" status?)
- Convince a priest during a Confirmation retreat that a classmate's nickname was Schlong. "Yes, Schlong? You had a question about preparing to receive the Holy Spirit?"
- [Sidebar: God bless the parents of junior high students. May I one day be lucky enough to be blissfully unaware of my children's extracirricular activities... or perhaps not live in a ghetto.]
Back then I wanted Marilyn to be Mo. Now I'm oh-so-proud that I've managed to carry off this split-personality charade so successfully. Now I'm oh-so-grateful that Marilyn and Mo have managed to live separate lives, each successful in her own way. Maybe there is a little Christian Spirit lurking in me, watching over me, after all. That's not someting I'm going to waste any more tears about.


this may be my favorite post ever. the face you are making in that picture is priceless!
ReplyDeleteI got the most Christian Spirit Award too...but I wasn't upset. Partly because all the other girls in my class were COMPLETE Bi-athes, (with few exceptions), and partly because most Christian Spirited boy was super hot and I got to be in pictures next to him. He was also nice, hence the award. I of course never spoke to him again as I moved into spurt of jerk dating for a few years there... BTW I didn't (duh) realize Micheal was your brother. Do you know Kelly and my sis duck taped him to a chair when he was about that age?? They took a picture...very un-Christian like.
ReplyDeleteThis is the best thing I've ever read. I read it earlier tonight at work and died laughing. We were such badasses! I forgot about the branding. What the hell was wrong with us? Seriously amazing. We turned out alright...I think.
ReplyDeleteSomehow you forgot the time that we found an old jug of fermented something or other in a cabinet at your house. We assumed it must be something that could get us drunk, and drank the whole thing. Later, I think we went "sleighriding" down your bedroom stairs in a sleeping bag, and almost broke our bodies.
ReplyDeleteSomehow I totally forgot about the schlong nickname, hysterical. Poor Marce's mom also fell for that one.
This is fantastic, glad to see you didn't tippy toe around any of your crazy shenanigans!
ReplyDeleteAnd Nicki, I believe you're remembering a photo Mo very proudly handed over to Tiff- showcasing the handiwork of a very young Marilyn. Tiff and I were much too Christian Spirited to humiliate Michael that way!